Detroit Lakes Rideshare Accident Attorneys
Helping Victims of Uber & Lyft Accidents Seek Just Compensation
Rideshare companies such as Uber and Lyft have quickly gained popularity in Minnesota and throughout the country. As a result, rideshare accidents have increased. Any vehicle on the road can be involved in an accident, including people driving for Uber and Lyft. The Detroit Lakes rideshare accident lawyers at Maring Williams Law Office have helped injured clients pursue compensation for nearly 30 years. We have what it takes to help you identify the at fault party or parties, collect relevant evidence, and receive just compensation—without the hassle of dealing with insurance and rideshare companies on your own.
Can I Sue a Rideshare Company Like Uber or Lyft?
Rideshare giants Uber and Lyft have aggressively campaigned to keep the drivers they employ classified as “independent contractors” rather than “employees.” This is because these companies wish to avoid any liability when it comes to accidents—and they often do. In fact, it is very difficult to bring a lawsuit directly against Lyft or Uber. In most cases, you will have to file a claim with the driver’s personal auto insurance policy instead.
However, Uber and Lyft do grant their drivers limited auto insurance coverage in the event of an accident. Learn more below.
What Are Lyft & Uber’s Insurance Policies?
When an accident occurs that is the fault of a rideshare driver was at fault, any injured parties can file a claim with the rideshare company’s insurance—but only if that rideshare driver was actively working at the time of the crash. This means they must have had the Lyft or Uber app open and been searching for a passenger to pick up or already transporting a passenger.
Uber and Lyft possess very similar liability policies that kick in under the following circumstances:
- Period 0: This refers to any time period in which a rideshare driver is in their vehicle, but not using their rideshare app. In other words, if a Lyft or Uber driver injured you while they were “off the clock” the rideshare companies provide no coverage. Your only option is to file a claim with the driver’s personal auto insurer.
- Period 1: This period occurs when a rideshare driver is working but has not yet taken a ride request from a passenger. If a rideshare driver injures someone during this period, you can be covered by both the rideshare driver’s insurance and Uber/Lyft’s policy. However, the latter only offers liability coverage for other vehicles or passengers.
- Period 2: Period 2 occurs when a rideshare driver does have a ride request but has not yet picked up the passenger. At this point, the driver ceases to provide coverage—instead, all insurance coverage is handled by Lyft or Uber.
- Period 3: When a passenger is riding with a working rideshare driver. Both Lyft and Uber's insurance policies cover this period, up to $1 million in total damages.
We understand this method can be complex, so feel free to contact a local rideshare accident lawyer in Detroit Lakes for a free consultation to learn more about your legal rights and options—at no obligation to you.
How an Attorney Can Help You Secure Fair Compensation
Rideshare companies are very convenient but dealing with Uber and Lyft accidents can be complicated. Determining liability in these accidents will depend on the victim’s role in the accident. An experienced rideshare accident injury lawyer can help you navigate these new and potentially confusing laws.
You may be entitled to receive compensation for all past and future accident related:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- And more out of pocket expenses
At Maring Williams Law Office, we possess the drive, experience, and know how necessary to level the playing field and grant our clients the opportunity to receive fair compensation. If you have been wrongfully injured, you are entitled to a settlement that covers all your accident-related expenses. The insurance and rideshare companies want to avoid paying you to protect their own finances—having a legal guide on your side will help you stand against them and receive the full compensation you deserve.
Oilfield Accident & Burn Injury $6 Million
Our client was severely burned and suffered permanent and disabling injuries in an explosion and fire at a well site in the Bakken oil fields of western North Dakota.
Oilfield Accident & Traumatic Brain Injury $19 Million
Our client suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI), severe burns, and permanent disfigurement when he was involved in a gas explosion in the Bakken oil fields of western North Dakota.
Rear-Ended Car Accident $2.35 Million
Our client was rear-ended while stopped on the highway and sustained significant injuries to his back, ribs and lung.
We abide by a strong code of ethics in serving our clients & our communities.
We respect our clients & their time, & we are committed to being responsive to their questions & needs.
We care about every client who walks through our doors and will stop at nothing to fight for them.
We have more than 150 years of combined experience - and we're just getting started.
We are proud to be one of the region's most-trusted and respected personal injury law firms.
We are committed to not only fighting for your recovery, but to guiding you through the entire process.