Detroit Lakes Distracted Driving Accident Attorneys
Call Us If a Distracted Driver Hit You
Distracted drivers are all over the road these days. If one of them hit you, it is normal to get mad at them for causing so much harm for such an avoidable reason. But don’t just get mad – get the compensation that you deserve.
Maring Williams Law Office and our distracted driving accident attorneys in Detroit Lakes are here to assist injured drivers in Detroit Lake. We take pride in being able to secure large amounts of compensation for our clients, especially after their cases were deemed too difficult by other legal professionals.
See if our award-winning distracted driving accident lawyers in Detroit Lakes can help you. Call (218) 228-6332 today.
Common Forms of Driver Distractions
Distracted driving can be just as dangerous as drunk driving, or it can be even worse. This is unfortunate because distracted driving is also more common. Most drivers distract themselves regularly while driving, and many of them don’t even realize it. Some forms of distractions are subtle or seem so commonplace that they seem “fine” until a terrible accident happens.
Driver distractions that happen each day include:
- Texting: Nearly every driver on the road owns a smartphone, so the risk that you are near a driver who has their smartphone in their hand or out of their pocket while driving is quite high.
- Eating or drinking: Taking a swig of water or a bite of a breakfast bar might seem like it is fine to do while driving, but it is actually incredibly dangerous and distracting. Only eat or drink while your car is completely stopped, and the engine is not running.
- Talking with passengers: Most people like to talk with their passengers while driving, but most people probably don’t realize how distracting this can be. Passenger distractions are more likely among teenagers who are still figuring out how to drive safely.
- Reading billboards: Roadside billboards are meant to distract you by showing you a bright advertisement while you are driving down a freeway. Oddly, these intentional distractions are not unlawful.
- Adjusting the GPS or radio: Changing a music selection or checking the GPS might take only a few seconds, but those are a few seconds too long if the vehicle is in motion.
Few Distractions are Worse Than Texting
All forms of driver distractions are dangerous and should be avoided. Yet texting-and-driving is probably the worst form of driver distraction when all things are considered. Texting-and-driving is so dangerous because it engages a driver in all three forms of distraction at once.
Three main forms of driving distractions are:
- Visual: A distraction that takes the driver’s eyes off the road, like looking at a cellphone.
- Manual: A distraction that takes the driver’s hands off the wheel, like holding a cellphone.
- Mental or cognitive: A distraction that takes the driver’s mind off the wheel, like thinking about how to respond to a text. Cognitive distractions can last for 30 seconds or more after the source of the distraction ends or is put away.
Did the driver who hit you mention that they were texting? Or did you see them with their phone in their hand before the accident happened? Try to make a note of it or record what they said using your smartphone’s recorder app. It could be the statement that flips their case against them and leads to your victory.
A Focused Legal Team Here to Help
Hit by a distracted driver? Hit them back with our focused legal representation. Our Detroit Lakes distracted driving accident lawyers are always ready to help new and returning clients with their cases, so there is never a bad time to dial (218) 228-6332.
We take your case to heart. Contact our firm now.
Rear-Ended Car Accident $2.35 Million
Our client was rear-ended while stopped on the highway and sustained significant injuries to his back, ribs and lung.
Oilfield Accident & Traumatic Brain Injury $19 Million
Our client suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI), severe burns, and permanent disfigurement when he was involved in a gas explosion in the Bakken oil fields of western North Dakota.
Oilfield Accident & Burn Injury $6 Million
Our client was severely burned and suffered permanent and disabling injuries in an explosion and fire at a well site in the Bakken oil fields of western North Dakota.
We abide by a strong code of ethics in serving our clients & our communities.
We respect our clients & their time, & we are committed to being responsive to their questions & needs.
We care about every client who walks through our doors and will stop at nothing to fight for them.
We have more than 150 years of combined experience - and we're just getting started.
We are proud to be one of the region's most-trusted and respected personal injury law firms.
We are committed to not only fighting for your recovery, but to guiding you through the entire process.