At Maring Williams Law Office, we feel a close connection to the people of Detroit Lakes and the surrounding region. When we hear that someone has been hurt in an accident, we want to see how we can help. With our decades of collective legal experience and focus on personal injury claims, we are confident we can provide dependable legal representation for people in all types of accidents and from all walks of life.
Learn more about what sets our law firm apart. Call (218) 228-6332.
Each state has its own rules and regulations regarding personal injury cases and liability laws. Minnesota is no exception. A few key personal injury laws of Minnesota you should know are:
- There is a six-year statute of limitations on most personal injury claims, beginning on the date the injury occurred or became noticeable.
- Liability is determined by comparative fault rules, which state you will receive compensation reduced by the percentage of your own liability.
- You cannot recover in a personal injury claim if you are determined to be more than 50% at-fault for your own injuries.
- Car accident claims cannot be brought to litigation unless you experience more than $4,000 in medical expenses, a permanent injury, permanent disfigurement, death, or a disability lasting at least 60 days.
Rather than trying to figure out the nuances of Minnesota’s personal injury laws on your own, you should leave your case up to our Detroit Lakes attorneys. We always act in ways that reflect and uphold our clients’ best interests, so you never need to worry about your case being steered in the wrong direction.
Ready to start your claim? So are we. Call our Detroit Lake personal injury attorneys at (218) 228-6332 now.
- Car accidents: Were you hit by another driver? Hold them accountable for your damages by filing a claim with our firm.
- Drunk driving accidents: Special steps may be necessary to file a claim after being hit by a drunk driver, which adds a criminal element to the case.
- Catastrophic injuries: Life-changing injuries will often put intense pressure on the survivor’s finances. A catastrophic injury claim can help make ends meet.
- Oilfield injuries: Maring Williams Law Office proudly offers our representation to oilfield workers throughout Minnesota who are hurt while working out of state.
- Truck accidents: After a devastating truck accident, people in Detroit Lakes and the surrounding region often come to our door for legal assistance.
- Wrongful death: Losing a loved one is difficult. Seeking compensation in their name does not need to be if you choose to work with our firm.
Our experienced legal advocates are committed to fighting for the justice that you deserve. There are no fees unless we win your case, so contact us to speak with an attorney today.
Injury Claims Process in Minnesota
How will your personal injury claim progress after you get injured in Minnesota or around Detroit Lakes? The details of your case will affect the procedures to follow as well as the outcome. However, it is possible to make a fairly accurate prediction about what will need to be done throughout your claim.
The average personal injury claim in Minnesota will involve:
- Collecting evidence at the scene of an accident.
- Seeking medical attention as soon as possible.
- Calling an attorney for legal help with the rest of the process.
- Following any instructions from your lawyer.
Once you get a personal injury lawyer to handle your claim, they can act on your behalf. While you may need to continue to seek medical care and communicate with us on regarding your claim, our lawyers and staff take the burden of handling your claim off of you, so you can focus on your recovery and getting back to your life.
A typical case involves your Maring Williams attorney taking these steps:
- Calculate your damages to the fullest extent.
- Create and submit a claim to the correct defendants.
- Respond to inquiries and challenges.
- Attempt prelitigation negotiations to settle.
- Prepare for litigation if settlements do not succeed.
- Take the case to court for a jury verdict.
It is important to remember that filing a lawsuit does not entirely eliminate the chance of settling your claim. Faced with our willingness to take your claim to court, many insurance companies decide to halt litigation and offer a fair settlement, saving them time and expense. In this way, settlements benefit both parties.
Our attorneys have more than 150 years of combined legal experience. During that time, they have made it their mission to provide exceptional legal service, consistent with the firm's long history of helping people.
“The insurance companies would never treat us fairly without great attorneys like you and your team at Maring Williams Law Office!”- M.B.
“Everything was explained to me in detail and I felt just as much apart of the legal process as he was. I can't recommend the Maring Williams enough. Amazing people.”- H.D.
“At each point in the process, they carefully and thoroughly explained what was happening. My attorney made me feel as though my case was the only one he was working on—always accessible, always compassionate, and always detailed.”- J.M
Oilfield Accident & Burn Injury $6 Million
Our client was severely burned and suffered permanent and disabling injuries in an explosion and fire at a well site in the Bakken oil fields of western North Dakota.
Oilfield Accident & Traumatic Brain Injury $19 Million
Our client suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI), severe burns, and permanent disfigurement when he was involved in a gas explosion in the Bakken oil fields of western North Dakota.
Car Accident $5.3 Million
Our client suffered severe injuries in a head-on automobile crash when her vehicle was intentionally struck by a vehicle operated by her ex-boyfriend.