North Dakota, Minnesota & Montana Premises Liability Attorneys
What is Premises Liability?
Land and property owners are required by law to maintain their property according to various laws that protect the public. Failure to properly maintain or repair property can result in liability for a property owner if an injury occurs.
Most often the claim is made with the premises liability insurance company. If the premises liability coverage is not adequate to compensate for the damages, the property owner’s personal assets may be at risk.
What are the Elements of a Premises Liability Claim?
Premises liability claims can take various forms. However, the elements of a premises liability claim will typically be the same:
- The individual who caused your injury was in control of the property, whether it was owned, leased, or being run by them at the time of your injury
- The person in control of the property was negligent or failed to ensure the property was safe
- You were injured while on the property
- The negligence of the person in control of the property resulted in your injuries
If you believe you have grounds for a premises liability claim, contact our lawyers today to discuss your accident.
Types of Premises Liability Claims
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas produced when burning fuel used in cars, boats, wood stoves, cooking appliances, and heating/furnace equipment that use propane or kerosene. If carbon monoxide exposure is significant, it can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, heart irregularities, coma, and death. Industry publications estimate that carbon monoxide exposure kills approximately 5,000 people and injures over 10,000 people every year. If you or someone you know has been injured due to carbon monoxide poisoning and if the cause of the exposure is related to someone’s negligence — for example, a landlord fails to appropriately maintain a furnace or a product is defective — you may have a claim for damages. We have handled cases related to carbon monoxide exposure. Experts are available to assess the cause of your carbon monoxide injury and evaluate consequent damages.
- Improper Repair - If an injury occurs because a landowner has failed to properly maintain or repair the property, there is a potential claim for damages. Examples include inadequate snow and ice removal, improper maintenance of a balcony or handrail, and inadequate lighting, especially around steps or stairs.
- Slip and Falls - Slip and fall cases can involve anything from wet floors at grocery stores to improperly maintained sidewalks or parking lots during winter months. To learn more about slip and fall lawsuits, visit our Slip & Fall Injuries page.
- Improper Building Security - Improper building security can include failure to properly light parking lots, hallways, stairwells, etc. It can also include failure to install security cameras or alarms to deter intruders. Improper security cases usually involve some form of assault or injury that occurred as a result of poor security.
- Elevator/Escalator Accidents - If elevators and escalators are not properly maintained they can result in serious crush injuries or even death. These type of accidents are common in older high-rise apartment buildings and office buildings.
- Dog or Animal Attacks - Dog bites or animal attacks are one of the most common types of premises liability claims. Each state is different when it comes to dog-owner liability, so it's important to consult with an attorney who is familiar with the rules of your specific state. Visit our Dog Bites page to learn more.
Our premises liability lawyers are standing by to help. Contact us by calling (701) 402-6644.
Successful Verdicts & SettlementsVictories On Behalf of Our Clients & Community
Rear-Ended Car Accident $2.35 Million
Our client was rear-ended while stopped on the highway and sustained significant injuries to his back, ribs and lung.
Car Accident and Tractor-Trailer Accident $2.25 million
Our client was a passenger in a vehicle that collided with a semi-tractor on a highway.
Car Accident $5.3 Million
Our client suffered severe injuries in a head-on automobile crash when her vehicle was intentionally struck by a vehicle operated by her ex-boyfriend.
Our ValuesHow We Provide Exceptional Legal Service to Our Cleints
We abide by a strong code of ethics in serving our clients & our communities.
We respect our clients & their time, & we are committed to being responsive to their questions & needs.
We care about every client who walks through our doors and will stop at nothing to fight for them.
We have more than 150 years of combined experience - and we're just getting started.
We are proud to be one of the region's most-trusted and respected personal injury law firms.
We are committed to not only fighting for your recovery, but to guiding you through the entire process.