Detroit Lakes Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Maring Williams Law Office Advocates for Injured Motorcyclists
Motorcyclists are highly exposed to injury in a crash. They lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, making them more vulnerable to harm when they are involved in a collision. Motorcycle accidents are often severe, resulting in life-altering injuries and fatalities.
At Maring Williams Law Office, we understand the challenges that injured motorcyclists face. Our team of motorcycle accident attorneys in Detroit Lakes can help you seek compensation for your damages. We can also help you work towards a full recovery.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can result from a combination of factors, and they often tend to be more severe than accidents involving other types of vehicles due to the lack of protective barriers for riders.
Here are some common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is a significant problem for all motorists, including motorcyclists. When drivers are distracted by their phones, passengers, navigation systems, or other factors, they may fail to notice motorcycles on the road, leading to collisions.
- Unsafe lane changes: Motorcycles are smaller and can be more challenging to spot in blind spots. When drivers change lanes without thoroughly checking their mirrors and blind spots, they might inadvertently collide with a motorcycle.
- Left-turn accidents: One common scenario involves a motorcycle colliding with a car making a left turn. The driver may not see the oncoming motorcycle or misjudge its speed, leading to a collision.
- Intoxication: Alcohol or drug impairment significantly impairs a driver's judgment, reaction time, and coordination, making them more likely to cause accidents. This applies to both car drivers and bikers.
- Failure to yield right-of-way: Accidents can occur when drivers or riders fail to yield the right-of-way at intersections or while making turns.
- Road hazards: Hazards like potholes, gravel, oil spills, or uneven road surfaces can be more dangerous for motorcycles due to their smaller contact area with the road and reduced stability.
- Dooring accidents: These occur when a car driver or passenger opens their door into the path of an oncoming motorcycle, causing a collision.
- Lane splitting: Lane splitting is when a motorcyclist rides between two lanes of slow-moving or stopped traffic. While it's legal in some places, it can still be hazardous, especially if drivers are not expecting it.
- Weather conditions: Adverse weather, such as rain, snow, or strong winds, can reduce visibility and road traction, increasing the risk of accidents for motorcyclists.
- Mechanical failures: Accidents can happen if a motorcycle experiences a mechanical failure, such as brake failure or tire blowouts.
- Speeding: Excessive speed reduces a driver's ability to react to unexpected situations and increases the severity of any resulting accidents. Motorcyclists who are speeding also have less time to respond to hazards on the road.
Who is Liable in a Motorcycle Accident?
Comparative negligence is a legal principle that applies to personal injury cases in Minnesota, including motorcycle accidents. This means if both parties are found to share some degree of fault for the accident, their recovery of damages will be reduced in proportion to their assigned percentage of fault.
For example, if a motorcyclist is found 30% at fault and the other driver 70% at fault, the motorcyclist's damages will be reduced by 30%.Comparative negligence is used to determine the degree of fault or responsibility each party bears for the accident and subsequent injuries or damages.
In Minnesota, a party can only recover damages if they are found to be 50% or less at fault for the accident. If a court or jury determines that the injured party is 51% or more responsible for the accident, they will be barred from recovering any compensation.
Our Firm Can Help
At Maring Williams Law Office, we can help you with your motorcycle accident claim. Our team of motorcycle accident attorneys in Detroit Lakes can handle your case from start to finish, or we can work with you to develop a strategy that is right for your needs. We can also assist other loved ones who have been impacted by a fatal crash.
Oilfield Accident & Traumatic Brain Injury $19 Million
Our client suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI), severe burns, and permanent disfigurement when he was involved in a gas explosion in the Bakken oil fields of western North Dakota.
Car Accident and Tractor-Trailer Accident $2.25 million
Our client was a passenger in a vehicle that collided with a semi-tractor on a highway.
Car Accident $5.3 Million
Our client suffered severe injuries in a head-on automobile crash when her vehicle was intentionally struck by a vehicle operated by her ex-boyfriend.
We abide by a strong code of ethics in serving our clients & our communities.
We respect our clients & their time, & we are committed to being responsive to their questions & needs.
We care about every client who walks through our doors and will stop at nothing to fight for them.
We have more than 150 years of combined experience - and we're just getting started.
We are proud to be one of the region's most-trusted and respected personal injury law firms.
We are committed to not only fighting for your recovery, but to guiding you through the entire process.