Daniel J. Dunn is a shareholder at Maring Williams Law Office, practicing in the areas of plaintiff’s personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits. Dan also handles business disputes for the plaintiff or defendant, as well as legal and chiropractic malpractice actions.
Dan is certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association and the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Dan is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts in North Dakota and Minnesota. He is also licensed to practice in the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
Dan has been selected by his peers for inclusion in numerous publications and organizations:
- “Leading Litigator” by Chambers USA in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- “Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers Magazine in the personal injury area for the evaluation periods — 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. He has been identified as a “Top List” attorney in 2012, 2017 and 2018, which is typically limited to approximately four attorneys in the state.
- Best Lawyers in Personal Injury – Plaintiffs, Construction Law and Commercial Litigation in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. Dan was named as the Plaintiff’s “Lawyer of the Year” for Personal Injury Litigation in 2013. Dan was also named as “Lawyer of the Year” for Commercial Litigation in 2014.
- “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating provided by the peer review rating system.
- The International Society of Barristers (ISOB) inducted Dan as a member in 2014. This organization is comprised of approximately 650 domestic and international attorneys and judges. Membership is by invitation only and targets attorneys with “exceptional talent whose qualities include integrity, honor, and collegiality which embody the spirit of the true professional.” Dan was recently selected to serve on the Board of Directors for the ISOB.
- The American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) elected Dan as a member in 2018. Membership is by invitation only and focuses on attorneys who exhibit high personal character, an honorable reputation and legal proficiency. ABOTA promotes ethical and technical standards in the field of advocacy for the benefit of individual litigants and the general public.
- The American College of Trial Lawyers inducted Dan as a member in 2018. Membership is by invitation only and attorneys are selected based upon “the highest standards of trial advocacy, ethical conduct, integrity, professionalism and collegiality.”
- Dan has been described by a client as a “no-nonsense, polite, respected and extremely knowledgeable lawyer.” Another client stated “Dan is an excellent, persistent detail-oriented attorney.”
Dan and other members of MWLO led an “I Buckle Up” campaign for the Traffic Safety Task Force and participated in presentations to more than 1,500 area fifth graders emphasizing the need for children and their families to use seatbelts. He and other members of MWLO are currently presenting a program entitled “End Distracted Driving” to local high school students.
Dan has served on several non-profit boards including: current Vice Chair of the North Dakota State University Foundation and Alumni Association; past Vice President of the North Dakota Soccer Association, past President of Red River Soccer Club, past President of the Shanley Athletic Club, and past Chair of Fargo Catholic Schools Network.
Dan has received various community awards including: American Diabetes Association’s “Amateur Athletics Person of the Year,” Red River Soccer Club’s “Volunteer of the Year,” North Dakota Youth Soccer Association’s “Volunteer of the Year,” Shanley Athletic Club’s Hall of Fame, National Association of Legal Secretaries of Fargo-Moorhead’s “Boss of the Year,” and North Dakota State Bar Association’s “Community Service Award.”
Dan has served as the past President of the Cass County Bar Association and taught as an Adjunct Professor at Minnesota State University, Moorhead. He currently serves on the Disciplinary Board of the North Dakota Supreme Court, as well as the Special Assessment Commission for the City of Fargo.
Dan and his MWLO team work hard on behalf of our clients and gain enormous satisfaction helping them through difficult legal challenges.
Daniel J. Dunn was born, raised, and currently resides, in Fargo, North Dakota. He graduated from North Dakota State University with a political science degree in 1988. He also graduated from the University of North Dakota School of Law, with distinction, in 1991.